Södra Teatern on top of Katarinaberget on Södermalm is so much more than just ‘The Southern Theater.’ Yes, it is a theater. But it’s also a place of stand up comedy, concerts, club nights, meetings and events, a dozen bars and the restaurant Mosebacke Etablissement.
Seven stages, 500 events and 250,000 visitors per year and 20 open-air concerts on Mosebacketerrassen during the summer are truly respectable numbers. And if you add that the theater was built in 1859 and has existed and evolved ever since, then it becomes clear that this is a place of both the old, historical, as well as the modern Stockholm.
Södra Teatern also has a distinct profile that unites democracy, sustainability, equality, and inclusion.
“We welcome all who welcome all. We stand against racism, and we think that’s important in these times,” says Johanna Carlberg, Marketing and Communications Manager.
Each year Södra Teatern welcomes 250,000 visitors to their seven stages, 500 events, and 20 open-air concerts.
Södra Teatern being so much more than what the name suggests is not a marketing exaggeration. Here’s a selection of their offer.
- Mosebacke Etablissement is Södra Teatern’s restaurant for both meat eaters and vegetarians. It’s also possible to book the restaurant’s Chambre séparée. Brunch with Champagne and live music on weekends, bossa nova on Saturdays, jazz on Sundays.
- Stora Scen, the main stage, is the city’s oldest private theater in use. Here you’ll see concerts and stand up comedy, to name a few, but the scene can also be rented for lectures and company events.
- Kägelbanan. Concerts, club nights, debates and minor theater shows. Södra Teatern’s biggest venue with two stages and room for 700 people.
- Mosebacketerrassen. An outdoor terrace with room for approximately 2 000 people attracts Stockholmers and tourists who want to hang out, listen to music, eat, drink and enjoy the view.
- Champagnebaren. The champagne bar, a newly renovated banquet hall with a panoramic view and own veranda, perfect for everything from mingling to conferences and celebrations. In the summer it’s open for the public to hang out.
- Meetings and events. You can rent Södra Teatern’s venues for conferences and events. There is a number of meeting rooms in addition to Södra Bar, Stora Scen, Kägelbanan, and Champagnebaren.
One of Södra Teatern’s bars
Södra Teatern changed owners at the end of 2018. The Stockholm based real estate company Maelir AB took over from Riksteatern. According to Johanna Carlberg, this is not going to affect their activities and Riksteatern will continue their collaboration with Södra Teatern as a given scene for performances and gatherings in Stockholm.
It’s a big honor for me to work with this amazing institution
– Samuel Laulajainen, CEO –
The new CEO is Samuel Laulajainen. At the end of 2018, he changed venues – from Stockholm Live to Södra Teatern.
“It’s so exciting that Samuel, with his experience and knowledge, has joined us at Södra Teatern. Samuel is the completely right person for the development that we are currently facing,” says Johanna Carlberg, who acted as CEO until Samuel Laulajainen took over.
Dinner at the outdoor terrace
Samuel Laulajainen has been running and developing restaurants, hotels, and bars in Sweden and England for almost 20 years. His latest position was at Stockholm Live with venues Ericsson Globe, Annexet, Hovet, Tele2 Arena, and Friends Arena, where he, as Head of Concept & Ancillary, developed a holistic experience for visitors with a focus on food and drink.
“It’s a big honor for me to work with this amazing institution,” says Samuel.
Visit Södra Teatern’s website for more information on current events in this pearl of Stockholm.
Sponsored article in collaboration with Södra Teatern.
Like this article? Spread the word!