Recently, my boyfriend and I visited his family in Jönköping for the weekend. Jönköping is a beautiful mid-sized city in Sweden, located in the region of Småland. It’s about a 2.5 hour train ride from Stockholm, or a 3.5 hour drive along the E4 highway.
The city is situated by the picturesque lake Vättern, which is Sweden’s second-largest lake. There’s also an international university, called Jönköping University, located right in the city centre. Almost everyone in the city has strong English skills, making it easy for tourists to get around.
Not only is Jönköping where my boyfriend grew up, but it’s also where I spent my first 6 months living in Sweden. It will always hold a very special place in my heart and we try to go back there as much as possible.
During our most recent trip to Jönköping, we did some shopping and sightseeing, had some warm glögg (mulled wine) with my boyfriend’s family, and enjoyed a delicious Christmas feast at a golf club outside the city.
When visiting Jönköping during the Winter months, here are some of our favourite things to do:
Eat & Drink
- Kebab pizza from Pizzeria Prima. Jönköping is known for having the best kebab pizza in Sweden and I can personally vouch for that. The creamy garlic sauce and kebab meat combo is amazing!
- Burgers at Bada Bing. These are my favourite burgers in Sweden and the restaurant has a really cool atmosphere. I recommend the Bonden burger, which has a fried egg on top.
See & Do
- Visit Stadsparken, a large park featuring amazing views of the city. Here, we enjoy exploring the park’s beautiful grounds, having fika at the park’s café, watching football games, and saying hello to the cute barn animals.
- Watch the local hockey team, HV71, play at Kinnarps Arena. Whether HV71 is winning or losing, there’s always a fun and exciting atmosphere at Kinnarps arena.
- Shopping! You can shop indoors at a6 shopping centre or brave the cold outdoors along the city centre shopping streets.
Like the rest of Sweden, it can get very cold in Jönköping during the long Winter months, so it’s important to bundle up before heading outside. I personally love wearing my Colmar jacket during the long Swedish Winters. It’s super lightweight yet very warm – the perfect combo when you’re out and about in the cold. Plus, it’s Italian-designed so it’s super stylish too! You can read more about the Colmar brand and products here.
Although Jönköping is beautiful in the Winter, the best time to visit would have to be during the warm Summer months. You can catch some rays along the beaches of Lake Vättern or stop by one of the many bars and restaurants along Lake Munksjön. You can also take a short drive over to the cute town of Gränna for beautiful scenery and traditional peppermint candies, called polkagris.
For more information on Jönköping, including things to see and do, visit the city’s website here: http://jkpg.com/en/