Another year is coming to an end and it has been a rollercoaster of emotions and lessons learned. Despite having started in one of the worst ways possible, I couldn’t be happier about everything I have been through and experienced this year. There has been tears, cuts and bruises, screaming at the top of my lungs and dying many times before I could put myself back to pieces again. This has truly been a year of self discovery, the year of “me”. I released myself from the biggest anchor weighing me down and learned how to stand strong in my own solitude. Rather than looking for love and comfort in another pair of arms, I found love towards life and myself instead. I came to meet my soulmate in the form of a beautiful Italian girl half across the world, in a country I am soon moving to, to fulfill my dreams.
Old friendships died and new ones blossomed. I traveled to Paris with a girl I have only known through a screen that soon became one of the most important people in my life. I found the little sister I always wished I had in Stockholm and together these three women taught me the importance of life, having fun with it and never taking things too seriously. To be silly and weird and doing things that usually scare you, because life is too short for regrets. I have done so many first things this year and pushing myself to do everything I have always wanted to do, but never did because I was either too scared or comfortable in my own little world. I asked a guy out for the first time in person and basically threw my phone number at him. I went on dates with all the wrong guys just to get out of my comfort zone. I spoke my mind about things I would usually keep quiet about and got myself a one way ticket to Australia, despite my irrational fear of flying and severe separation anxiety. I learned how to deal with my demons and made peace with my past and everything that happened to me. However, there is always room for improvement and I take everything I have learned this year with me to a new one. I look forward to another year of personal growth and self love, surrounded by the incredible people I now have in my life and keep an open door for new experiences and adventures.
Here is a list of the things I have learned in 2016
- Distance yourself from toxic people and any negativity to make room for better things
- Learn how to say “no”
- Talking about it is good, but there comes a point where you need to stop talking about it and work on moving on. You’ll know when you’ve reached this point
- Realise your worth and don’t settle for less
- Putting yourself and your own needs first is not selfish, it’s a necessity
- Nothing ever grows inside the walls of your comfort zone
- Sit down with your demons and get to know them, they’re not as bad as you think
- You are in complete control of your own life
- True happiness comes from within, don’t ever let another person become your only source of happiness
- There’s always something to smile and be happy about, look around and be grateful for what you actually have. Count your blessings
- Smile and laugh, even if things don’t seem to go your way. Sometimes, not getting what you want can be a blessing in disguise
- Travel. Just travel
- Do all those things you’ve been dying to do
- Life is too short to be your own worst enemy, become your own best friend instead
- You’re enough just the way you are
- Don’t ever let anyone make you think that your feelings and needs are not important
- Abusive relationships don’t just come in the form of physical abuse, learn how to see the red flags
- Remind your loved ones how much they mean to you, always say how you feel
- Always make time for the things that make you feel good
- You’re a constant work in progress, trust the process and make peace with change in yourself as well as others
Happy New Year!