If you follow my Instagram you probably already know how much I like my hummus, but if you don’t then I’ll tell you about it. I started working on this recipe over a year ago and the variations I’ve made with it since then using this recipe as a base is just unbelieavable. Everything from a Greek style hummus with feta cheese to a spicy avocado hummus and everything in between, only your imagination sets the limits! Traditionally you make this wonderful Middle Eastern treat with tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds, but I usually make mine without. However, if you want to add it in yours in addition to this recipe then it won’t compromise the taste at all, it’s just a matter of preference. You can also make your own tahini by using sesame seeds and a food processor, grinding them up makes the oil in the seeds come out and that’s all you need. Pulse, pause, pulse, pause, stir around with a spoon, pulse and pause until you have your own homemade tahini paste! Wether you use it or not, this recipe is a delight and I’m happy to share it with you. So let’s start!
Here’s what you need
- 1 can chickpeas
- Olive oil (and lots of it)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp tahini (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves (depends on if you’re a garlic lover like me)
- Freshly cut herbs such as cilantro or parsley, but I’ve also made this with basil
- Rince the chickpeas in water until all the foam is gone and add in a food processor.
- Pulse and work down the edges with a spoon as it tends to stick to the wall, gradually pour in your olive oil until it reaches a smooth and well mixed consistency.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, tahini and salt with the chickpeas and pulse until all ingredients have come together nicely.
- Finally, add your herbs and stir around with a spoon, serve in bowl and drizzle some more olive oil on top and enjoy.
Eat as it is or serve with vegetables such as carrots, cucumber or celery and use as a dip. But my favorite way to eat it is with tortilla bread chips that you make by warming tortilla bread in the oven for about 5 min tops, take out and let cool and break into litte pieces.