For a lack of better words, let’s just call this completely improvised creation for what it is – A frozen banana ice cream cake thingy! I got the inspiration from a dear friend of mine who loves to tease me with beautiful pictures of food. In the mids of a food picture spam I thought to myself “why not make a gluten free, vegan and a healthy all-natural cake?” Said and done, and I present to you this recipe for said cake that somehow mysteriously disappeared within 10 minutes in the hands of my family.
Having only made it once, I already have a thousand different ideas of how to both improve this recipe, but also how to vary the filling. Why not try mixing the banana ice cream with dark chocolate, or maybe use a vanilla flavored yoghurt for a more “cheesecaky” (yes, that’s totally a word I did not just make up) feel to it? So without further ado, let’s get straight down to business!
This recipe makes 2 small cakes or 1 medium sized one
- 200g pitted dates
- 1-1,5 dl crushed peanuts
- 4 frozen bananas
- Honey (optional)
- Strawberries for decoration
- In a food blender, crush the peanuts until somewhat crunchy and chunky and put in a bowl
- Add dates in the blender and mix until you’re left with a dough-like consistency. Put dates in the bowl with the crushed peanuts and work the dough until both ingredients are well mixed
- Mix your frozen bananas until smooth and add honey for sweetness
- In two round spring forms (or one bigger one), make a bottom of the date dough and press down evenly so you’re left with a nice layer, in which you will add the frozen banana on top of
- Freeze for a few hours until solid and decorate with fresh strawberries before serving
Let me know how you like this recipe if you decide to try it out!